A Full-Service Law Firm

Experienced Help With Child Relocation Matters

When considering moving with a child to a location outside of Florida, or even more than 50 miles away from your current residence within the state, it is important that you go through the courts to ensure that the relocation is legal. Florida has extremely strict laws that govern child relocation. The laws focus on the best interests of the child and maintaining the relationships between the child and both time-sharing parents.

It is important to note that if you move and do not follow the proper relocation application procedures, your situation may be prejudiced in the eyes of the court. This may make it harder for you to legally move with your child or maintain the current time-sharing (child custody) arrangements. At the Campbell & Madden, PLLC, we provide clients with tailored advice and representation in parent/child relocation matters. Our firm is fluent in the laws that govern these types of cases, and can effectively explain your rights and obligations.

Contact us today by calling 888-646-1535 for more information about how we can help.

Requesting A Relocation

When requesting a relocation, a Petition to Relocate is required and must be signed under oath if the parties have not entered into a written agreement. The petition must include a specific amount of information, including:

  • Description of the location
  • The mailing address of new residence
  • New home phone number
  • Date of proposed relocation or intended move
  • A statement detailing the reason for the relocation
  • A statement that describes how the time-sharing (custody) arrangements may be executed in the future
  • The inclusion of a specifically worded notice of how to object to the relocation
  • The current address of the parent filing for relocation in case an objection is filed
  • If a job offer is the reason for relocating, that written offer must be attached to the petition.

Our office can assist you in creating the Petition to Relocate and deal with any objections to the relocation that may be filed. We have experience drafting these petitions and can ensure that the paperwork is properly completed and filed.

Opposing A Relocation

If you have received a Petition to Relocate, you have 20 days in which to file an objection/answer in writing with the court. If the objection/answer is not made in a timely fashion, the relocation will proceed and the relocation will be deemed to be in the child’s best interests. As always, the best interests of the child are at the heart of the case.

Factors that the court must evaluate in the determination of a contested relocation case:

  • Nature, quality, extent of involvement and duration of a child’s relationship with the parents or other persons, to include siblings, half-siblings and other significant people in the child’s life.
  • Age and developmental stage of the child, the needs and likely impact of relocation on the child’s physical, emotional and educational development.
  • Feasibility of preserving the relationship with the nonrelocating parent through substitute arrangements and taking into consideration the logistics, access, time-sharing and financial circumstances of the parties along with the likelihood of compliance with substitute arrangements by the relocating parent.
  • Child’s preference, taking into consideration the child’s age and maturity level.
  • Whether the relocation will enhance the quality of life for the child and the relocating parent.
  • The reason for the relocation or the reason for objecting to the relocation.
  • Current employment and economic circumstances of the parties.
  • That the relocation is sought in good faith.
  • Career and other opportunities available to the objecting parent if relocation occurs.
  • History of substance abuse, domestic violence, the severity of such acts, and the failure or success of attempts at rehabilitation.
  • Any other factor affecting the best interests of the child.

Expedited Proceedings

Relocation proceedings are entitled to an expedited hearing, unless good cause can be shown. A Temporary Hearing on the relocation issue, if requested, shall be given priority within 30 days of the filing of the action. Time is of the essence in most relocation cases, but it is the relocating parent’s obligation to seek the opportunities the statute affords.

We Can Help

To further discuss your child relocation and child move-away issues, contact us online today or call our Shalimar office at 888-646-1535 to schedule an appointment with our experienced family law attorneys.

Se Habla Español.